[casual_games] Technology Follow-up

Brian Robbins brian-l at dubane.com
Wed Aug 10 16:08:34 EDT 2005

Just to play the Devil's advocate a bit here...

----
Check out the dhtml games, if you wish. www.def-logic.com. Currently they
run best in IE on windows. The mozilla development team have been using my
games as test cases for improvement to their dhtml engine. Firefox 1.5 (due
september) will be able to run my games at full speed.

Personally, I think javascript and dhtml are under-rated. They are perfect
for arcade style games. And since they are browser/platform independent,
they are open to the largest possible audience.
----

Aren't those 2 paragraphs contradicting one another? If they don't run great
in Firefox, they can't be open to the largest possible audience can they?
We're seeing Firefox usage as high as 15% on some of our recent launches.

With a ~96% install base wouldn't Flash be the closest we have to a truly
cross-platform development environment?
(http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetr
ation.html)

I'm a big fan of making things as accessible as possible, but it just seems
like Flash is that platform right now. I'd love to hear other thoughts on
this.

  Brian Robbins
  Director, Online Gaming
  <http://www.fuelindustries.com/>
  Chair, IGDA Casual Games SIG and IGDA Online Games SIG
  <http://www.igda.org/casual/>  <http://www.igda.org/online/>