[casual_games] Re: Price as Signal

Luke Munn lukeanddan at clear.net.nz
Wed Dec 14 17:38:28 EST 2005

Though I don't have experience from the business end of things, I would
actually go beyond this to say, as a game player, game length is only
one aspect of perceived value and enjoyment. This issue was recently
brought up on jayisgames.com, with some users complaining about the
relatively short length of Samorost 2 for the cost. For myself and
others, the experience was beautiful and rich, and I would gladly have
this over a casual game I recently purchased and played with dozens of
levels that just became tedious and repetitious. I think done well, a
slightly higher price point creates a gamer that savours the experience.

Again, this needs to be balanced with business and market aspects, but
in the art world, value has less to do with utilitarian concepts like
materials used, cost to create, durability, functionality, etc.
Photographs are sold for $1000 each. Scripts for performance work and
concepts for concept art are sold separate from the work itself. One NY
artist, Enright Brock, offers kidnapping services as experiental art to
clients for $1,500 a time.

While you probably think this is straying far from the topic, I would
say if game designers and players are going to talk about their work as
pieces of art, then we need to start thinking like that. Of course, art
ranges from high to low, and I'm not advocating selling casual games for
$100 each. But shifting this perception would mean a deeper appreciation
of the work and the value of it from both the designers and the players.

Hope I posted correctly, first reply post.

Cheers,
Luke Munn