[casual_games] Definition of Casual Games

BRENT SILBY (def-logic) brent at def-logic.com
Wed Jul 13 17:49:45 EDT 2005

There are many casual games that women do not enjoy. Arcade shooters are traditionally male, and yet are still in the casual game category (in my opinion). I personally would not call Sims a casual game because it is too big. The game can conceivably carry on for an indefinite period. I think casual games need to have a defined start and end, and not last much longer than a few minutes.

I agree that console games are not casual. Many of them require the player to walk around searching for things to do. They can be quite boring, really. A casual game has to put the player immediately into some action so that they need to respond quickly.

I agree with the points about intuitive controls and simple (or non-existent) story lines.

Cheers,
Brent Silby.
DEF-LOGIC
VIDEOGAMES