[casual_games] RE: Jay Ellsworth - 7/15/05 - The Definition ofCasual Games

Sheri Pocilujko sheri.pocilujko at high-voltage.com
Fri Jul 15 15:20:42 EDT 2005

From: Thing 2 [mailto:thing2 at mchsi.com]
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 12:15 PM
To: 'IGDA Casual Games SIG Mailing List'
Subject: [casual_games] RE: Jay Ellsworth - 7/15/05 - The Definition
ofCasual Games

I agree with you completely that UT2k4 is not a casual game but, don't
get me wrong, MMORPG's are in a sea all their own.  Massively
Multiplayer Online games, on the other hand, can be whatever we make
them.  That's why I mentioned that casual games pretty much rule out the
RPG's with quests that can have you running for 45+ minutes at a time.
And just because a game is massively multiplayer doesn't mean it has to
have a monthly fee (which I think automatically qualifies a game as
decidedly un-casual).

So what about all those cell phone games where people continue to pay
say 4.99 a month to be able to play Bejeweld or any other game anytime
they want? Are those not casual then?

Sheri Pocilujko
Corporate Communications Director
High Voltage Software
2345 Pembroke Avenue, Hoffman Estates, IL 60195
Email: sheri.pocilujko at high-voltage.com Web: http://www.high-voltage.com
<http://www.high-voltage.com/>