[casual_games] Production and project management Tools/Process

Duncan Gough duncan at 3rdsense.com
Tue Nov 1 08:09:27 EST 2005

On 1 Nov 2005, at 00:32, Jameson Hsu wrote:

> We're not game developers, but I think we're all in the same boat
> when it
> comes to writing code, organizing assets, and having collaborative
> reviews.
>

> The best solution that we've worked with has been Trac
> (http://www.edgewall.com/trac/).  It's an all encompassing solution
> that
> manages our source control (SVN & TortoiseSVN), bug tracking, ticket
> assignments, milestones, and collaboration. Trac is open source so
> it's
> totally free and there are a lot of plug-ins
> (http://trac-hacks.swapoff.org/) that can be added on to enhance the
> product.
>
> The only downside of Trac is the complexity of setting it up.  If
> you don't
> have a skilled sys admin then I'd suggest using a hosted service
> like Wush
> (http://www.wush.net/subversion.php).  We started off with them, but
> eventually set up our own repository.

I'd second Trac and I've got the scars to prove it. If you can set it
up, it does seem worth it.

However, as you've mentioned, it is very code focussed. We're still
trying to find something that offers much more in the way of sales/
developer/project tracking.

Being split across the UK and Australia means that we really need
something that does a bit of everything, although I'm coming to the
conclusion that we won't find one solution, rather lots of
modularised ones. The old unix 'do one thing and do it well' approach.

> In comparing Trac to Basecamp I would say that Trac has been a much
> better
> solution for our particular needs.  We don't interface with clients
> much so
> we don't need the slick and polished interface that Basecamp
> offers.  Trac
> is much more robust in managing the development process from front
> to end
> and we could manage our entire process in one system so that was
> the biggest
> draw for us.  One of the greatest benefits that we have used is the
> ability
> to cross reference bugs and tickets with source revisions.  It's a
> life
> saver when trying to document new builds.

This is a good point. I'd love to hear about how people use their
project management tools as much as what they use. For us,
communication is going to be the key factor - anything that helps us
keep ideas flowing is going to be worth a lot to us.

--

http://www.millionsofgames.com
http://www.suttree.com