[casual_games] game copyright

Lennard Feddersen lennard at RustyAxe.com
Wed Nov 9 10:40:00 EST 2005

The latest GDC email includes an announcement of a legal roundtable that
debates the validity of Sega suing Radical over patent infringement,
here is some copied text:
/
*Session Description*
The panel, comprised of the lead attorneys for Sega and Radical Games
discuss the factors that went into Sega's decision to sue for
infringement of its "Crazy Taxi" patent (No. 6,200,138), the defenses
available to the creators of "The Simpsons Road Rage," the realities of
patent litigation for both sides, and the controversial role of
method-of-play patents in the game industry. Using exhibits from the law
suit, the panalists will debate whether "The Simpsons Road Rage" copies
key aspects of the "Crazy Taxi" game display methods and, if so, whether
these display methods are patentable. The panel provides a rare insight
into the realities facing litigants and the strategies of lawyers in a
major patent case involving a core method of gameplay.
**
/Apparently their contention is that, because the hold a patent, they
aren't suing simply over an idea.

This stuff scares the bejezus out of me.  Larger publishers have deep
enough pockets that they could largely squash indie development simply
by bringing any lawsuit that wouldn't realistically be defended by
counter suit for contingency fees.  In years past I have had to go after
a publisher to recoup royalties due (I won, they went out of
business...) and I have learned the hard way that the legal system and
associated costs can readily be used as an offensive business tool in a
variety of ways.  Here is some language that Sega uses to describe their
patent:

/"A driving game, wherein players having various driving skills - from
beginners to those advanced - may enjoy both aspects of amusement and
simulation in consistency."

/Apparently the real patent is obscure enough for only lawyers to debate
the true meaning.  I know the casual space is crawling with connect 3
and breakout clones (amusingly often referred to as Arkanoid clones) but
better that than the industry getting mired in lawsuits.

I've searched the net and couldn't see if this case had yet been
resolved - does anyone know if this one got worked out and how it went?

Happy game makin'

Lennard Feddersen
CEO, Rusty Axe Games, Inc.
www.RustyAxe.com

Lennard at RustyAxe.com
P. 250-635-7623 F. 1-309-422-2466
3521 Dogwood, Terrace, BC, Canada, V8G-4Y7