[casual_games] game copyright

Austin Haas austin at pettomato.com
Wed Nov 9 17:37:00 EST 2005

In case anyone isn't familiar with Crazy Taxi and The Simpson's Road
Rage, Road Rage is a total clone of Crazy Taxi. They didn't just borrow
a few features. It is almost a complete reskin of Crazy Taxi, but with
Simpsons characters.

I'd like to think there is a big enough difference between ripping off
someone else's idea and borrowing from it, paying homage, etc., but
there clearly isn't. I absolutely believe that people should be able to
protect their IP, but there seems to be a lot of undeserved patents out
there as well.

I'd also like to add that the flip side of the big company outspending
you with their patent lawyers is them cloning your game and outmarketing
you before you have a chance to succeed. Personally, I just wish more
people had more pride than to knowingly and blatantly rip off someone
else's game in entirety.

Again, I say it's all a grey area. I wouldn't like it if the whole FPS
genre had been shutdown by an initial patent holder, but I gotta think
that I would feel differently if I was that patent holder.

As an example of a stupid patent, have you heard that someone has
already patented playing a mini-game while a larger game downloads? Can
anyone confirm that?

Finally, I have been in a lot of game brainstorms where inevitably
someone would say, "Have you played X? Let's make X!," to which I would
always try to reply, "What was it about X that you liked so much? Let's
try to capture that, instead."

-austin

Austin Haas
Pet Tomato, Inc.