[casual_games] QA / Bug / Beta testing process

Peter Nicolai pnico at gamelab.com
Wed Nov 16 14:39:16 EST 2005

On 11/15/05, Peter Harkins <ph at malaprop.org> wrote:
> I'm pretty interested in bugtrackers, but what are "pipelined tasks"?
> Are you referring to setting dependencies between tasks, or subtasks?

Yes, I guess I just made up that term... the reason I didn't say
"better workflow support" is that it seems like some bugtrackers that
claim to have it are talking about hardcoded extra stages for QA-type
things.  In our case, each task often has its own unique chain of
people it needs to go through, so it would be nice to be able to
either set task dependencies and notify people when a task on their
list becomes "ready", or put an arbitrary number of steps inside a
task (subtasks), and have the ticket automatically reassign itself to
the next person in the chain when a step is completed.  I know there
are a few things out there that do this, but so far the ones we've
looked at haven't been worth the hassle.  We need something really
minimal and easy to work with (the things we like about Trac).

On the subject of outsourcing QA, for the people that have done that,
how long is a typical QA cycle?  do you do it all at once, or multiple
times throughout a project?  Finally, can anyone give a general
ballpark / range as far as the total cost for an average project?  (I
know that's not going to be that meaningful because it would vary
widely, but just to get a sense...)