[casual_games] languages... (that's an 's' at the end!)

Phil Steinmeyer psteinmeyer at newcrayon.com
Tue Oct 11 10:36:09 EDT 2005

Yeah - I'm curious about claims of 25-50% decrease in coding time (cited by
at least one other poster as well).

In my experience, assuming you've got a competent language with functions,
OO, etc that you can put your most common code into, then overall code time
is affected by
1) IDE (yes, you can usually use a 3rd party IDE, but a good, integrated IDE
is better)
2) Debugger (if it's good in general and supports recompile on the fly,
that's very good)
3) GUI layout tool (not as important for games, though, as most use custom
GUIs to avoid 'Windows' look)
4) Flexibility in how you do things (i.e. I'm not restricted to one paradigm
for accomplishing tasks)
5) Complexity of interaction with native APIs.  i.e. for games - fighting
with Direct X and the Windows API.

I've tinkered with a few languages.  Using MSVC to write straight C/C++, my
current preferred method, scores high on #1, #2, and #4, poor on #3, and
fair on #5.  But I don't really see a way that another language could
dramatically improve my coding time for complex games, as I spend very
little of my coding time fighting with the tools or the paradigms the tools
limits me to.

That said, I'm curious where others find 25-50% productivity gains in other
languages (not trying to start a flame war - just curious, as it doesn't
match my (limited) experiences with other languages).