[casual_games] future of shockwave

BRENT SILBY brent at def-logic.com
Fri Oct 21 15:12:59 EDT 2005

Good morning,
We are converting some of our dhtml games to shockwave. The reason we chose shockwave is because it can handle javascript, so the conversion is reasonably straightforward--just requiring a reworking of image handling code etc.

The purpose of the conversion is partly to overcome some browser consistency issues with dhtml and partly to open up new opportunities for licensing.

My question is this: What is the future of shockwave? I think that it currently has about a 55% penetration (compared to 97% in flash). Is this figure predicted to remain static, or will it rise (or drop) over the coming years.

I know its difficult to predict future trends, but if anyone can make a good guess, I'd be interested to know.

Cheers,
Brent Silby.
DEF-LOGIC
VIDEOGAMES