[casual_games] DirectPlay

Allan Simonsen Simonsen at rocketmail.com
Thu Oct 27 08:17:51 EDT 2005

DP was deprecated in DirectX SDK Summer Update 2004.

>From the release notes:
* DirectPlay is no longer supported. Microsoft are
dropping DirectPlay completely although the
functionality in this release is the same as previous
releases apart from the lack of a debug dll. Also the
help files no longer mention DirectPlay and there are
no DirectPlay samples. You can get the old DirectPlay
documentation from MSDN. The rumour is that Microsoft
will release the XBox networking solution as an
alternative.

I'm not certain if there's a replacement comming out
with Vista; we'll see. If you're looking for a simple
replacement, you might want to look at ENet
(http://enet.cubik.org/) which has a nice and clean
reliable protocol over UDP.

Allan

Allan Simonsen                    simonsen at rocketmail.com