[casual_games] RE: Business models

John Welch john at playfirst.com
Thu Sep 1 16:05:05 EDT 2005

The DRM is specified by the portal, not the developer. (Of course,
developers often have their own site to sell games, and then they would
need to have a DRM). The most common one across the big portals is
Trymedia's ActiveMark. I believe it is used by Yahoo, Pogo, and AOL.
Also Big Fish Games. Many more sites as well.

The other big sites each have a proprietary system. PlayFirst.com also
uses a proprietary system. One popular strategy behind the proprietary
systems is to build atop Digital River's Armadillo encryption stuff. You
can see what we did with it by downloading a game from
www.playfirst.com.

I don't see why you would look further than Trymedia for turnkey
solution or Armadillo (now called Software Passport or something) if you
want to build a custom solution.

-John
________________________

John Welch, President & CEO
PLAY:  www.PlayFirst.com <http://www.playfirst.com/>
________________________

The contents of this message, together with any attachments, are
intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which they are
addressed and may contain information that is confidential and
proprietary. If you are not the intended recipient, then any
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message, and any
attachment, is prohibited. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the original sender or PlayFirst immediately by telephone
or by return E-mail and delete this message, along with any attachments,
from your computer. Thank you.