[casual_games] Casual games user groups (player side)

Wade Tinney wade at largeanimal.com
Wed Sep 28 11:12:44 EDT 2005

MOG is a great idea and very well executed. Congratulations on getting
it off the ground. I've got the little "Mog it!" button on my tool bar
and have been using it.

I'm curious about the demographics of MOG users. I realize you are not
explicitly gathering this information, but I'm wondering if you have any
sense of it, nonetheless. My intuition leads me to guess that the people
featured on the WildGames page I referenced (
http://www.wildgames.com/ECS/htdocs/contests.aspx?dp=wildgames
<http://www.wildgames.com/ECS/htdocs/contests.aspx?dp=wildgames&bw=high>
&bw=high) are probably *not* likely MOG users, and that your users are
probably significantly younger; more like a Miniclip audience. Correct
me if I'm wrong (either Colin, or anyone else reading this), but I don't
think this younger audience is purchasing downloadable casual games.
They may be playing them, but I don't get the sense that they are paying
for them (at least not in significant numbers). That audience seems like
a perfect one to monetize via advertising, but not to sell the "classic"
downloadable, single-player game to.

Taking this assumption further, it seems that while a site like MOG is a
tremendous resource for gauging the success of one's web-based (read: ad
rev generating) game offerings, and to see what is working in that
market, it may not be such relevant data for try-and-buy downloadable
games, because its just not the same audience. In other words, I can't
assume that the games that are popular with MOGgers (online, download,
or otherwise) are going to be popular with those people who are actually
buying games. Also, if my site doesn't have a way of monetizing traffic
outside of game sales (i.e. no advertising), then it doesn't help me to
attract lots of traffic to my site (via MOG, Newgrounds, or whatever),
since I'm only going to spend more money serving up games to people who
will likely not buy them.

To tell the truth, I hope that I'm wrong about all this; I just wanted
to throw it out there and see what people think. Hopefully someone has
some data/insight which will disprove this theory.

Thanks!

Wade

Wade Tinney
partner, game designer