[casual_games] Advergaming

James C. Smith james at Reflexive.net
Wed Apr 12 14:33:26 EDT 2006

I am confused. I though "Advergaming" generally referred to games that were
custom built (or reskinned) to promote a specific product or brand.  For
example, Energizer would commission a game developer to make a game
featuring the Energizer bunny.  It wouldn't be a game with an Energizer ad
in it. It would be a whole game all about Energizer.  Isn't streaming
billboard ads into a game a completely different subject than Advergaming?

I don't want to debate the vocabulary and semantics. I just want to make
sure Jónas gets advice on the topic he is interested in.

--James

-----Original Message-----
From: casual_games-bounces at igda.org [mailto:casual_games-bounces at igda.org]
On Behalf Of Lennard Feddersen
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 11:00 AM
To: IGDA Casual Games SIG Mailing List
Subject: Re: [casual_games] Advergaming

Anybody who is interested in this topic can email me directly as well.
I started Integrated Ads last year - www.IntegratedAds.com - with the
goal of enabling casual game developers to ad. enable their games after
or late in development with a minimum of dev. effort (link in a static
library, make 3 calls, display 1 image).  You can see the system in use
if you download the Battle Castles demo from www.RustyAxe.com.  I read
the indie gamer forums every day and do the math.  From the #'s being
reported,  there are a lot of indie developers who aren't making enough
$ to get by on. I believe that advertising can play a bigger role in our
industry segment since we give away so much content in the form of free
demos and reduced cost games.  Both the Battle Castles demo and a
reduced cost version of BC ship with advertising - players can still buy
a premium cost version with ads removed.  I've recently been looking at
the Arcade In A Box forums and a lot of gamers there felt disappointed
that they had to pay $20 for a casual game (I know, tough cookies) and
I've often had the same thought when I see the dev. $ we sink into a
title versus those of premium companies.  There are a lot of games at my
local Staples at the $20 price point that costs millions to develop -
including Diablo, Warcraft and Baldurs Gate gamer packs and it's obvious
to me why a lot of titles in our space aren't making their $ back.
These may be viable gaming experiences that are getting play.  The
answer may well be to ad. advertising.

Lennard Feddersen
CEO, Rusty Axe Games, Inc.
www.RustyAxe.com

Lennard at RustyAxe.com
P. 250-635-7623 F. 1-309-422-2466
3521 Dogwood, Terrace, BC, Canada, V8G-4Y7