[casual_games] Copy Protection

Don Munsil don at munsil.com
Fri Apr 14 12:46:23 EDT 2006

>From my perspective, the best happy medium is simple speed-bump protection
that uses simple documented interfaces and doesn't try to hide anything.
Certainly there are successful companies out there using no copy protection
at all (yes, even for downloadable games).

A fairly common design is to generate an unlock code by hashing the person's
name, and stash a file (probably a text file) in the install directory with
the name and unlock code in it. At startup the game opens the file, verifies
that the name and the code go together by following the same hash algorithm
used to generate the code from the name, and then either goes into "trial"
mode or "unlocked" mode.

Obviously this is trivial to hack, but even the complex protection systems
can be hacked. If someone is going out to the pirate sites to find a key
generator or a patch to your game, they'll find it no matter how complex
your system. If you go search those sites you can find generators and
patches for some of the most complex copy protection out there, including
$1000 software with dongles and keys generated with cryptographic hashes.
You just want something simple to give the non-technical people an incentive
to pay.

Also, most complex copy protection systems are vulnerable to app compat
issues. I used to work for Microsoft application compatibility, and copy
protection was always breaking every time we revved the OS, generally
because they were poking around in undocumented structures that we needed to
change.

Moreover, the simple methods make it easy to provide support. When some odd
situation happens where someone has paid but didn't get their unlock code,
or had to reinstall their OS and lost their code, it's trivial to shoot them
a new one via email.

JMHO, of course.

Don