[casual_games] Game resolution

Gabriel Gambetta mystml at adinet.com.uy
Fri Apr 21 11:37:57 EDT 2006

Hi Ron,

        Pretty much every downloadable casual game I've seen is 800x600 these
        days.  Do people think going to 1024x768 would be a problem?
        [...]
        Are games ready to make this jump?  What are the downsides?

1024x768 has 63% more pixels than 800x600, so for lower end hardware and
especially if you're doing software rendering, 800x600 will be a lot
more efficient. Given that a lot of users actually have low end
hardware, I think this is a wise choice. Besides I'm not sure what can
we do at 1024x768 that can't be done in 800x600, at least with the
production values found in current casual games.

	I realize that this might cause problems down the road for an
	in-browser web version, etc, but ignore that for now.

Not really, you'll have to shrink the game somehow, whether it's
1024x768 or 800x600. If you use a 3D backend to render your 2D game you
can just scale everything transparently to the code.

	--Gabriel