[casual_games] Copycats -- What Can Be Done?

Hal Barwood hal at finitearts.com
Fri Apr 28 13:43:15 EDT 2006

Morning, all:

I don't think we should worry about copycat games.

Legal fights are expensive on purpose, and in entertainment few of these
get resolved in favor of the presumably abused parties who came up with
original concepts.  Copycat movies, TV shows, novels, coffee mugs,
automobiles, you name it, are as common as dirt.  The accepted term of
art for this practice, signifying it as a familiar and well-established
business concept for everyone, whether we love or loathe it, is "knock-off."

Does the iPod deter Creative, et al., from going after the MP3 market?
Not at all.  Our only practical hope is to get out there in front,
establish IP, get some branding consciousness, and move on.

If Diner Dash has a weakness, it's that the main character, Flo, doesn't
have franchise presence on her own, the way Indiana Jones has, for
example.  It's instructive that the designers at Eidos, who wanted to do
a Jonesy game, worked hard to establish an alternative to the intrepid
archaeologist with her own strong individuality.