[casual_games] Flash local storage issue

Dimitrios Bendilas - ZEFXIS d.bendilas at zefxis.gr
Fri Aug 25 13:20:30 EDT 2006

Hello everyone,

Let me introduce myself.

My name is Dimitrios Bendilas and I am game designer and lead developer of Total Eclipse.

I've been reading very interesting posts in this list for a long time
and now I have a question that hopefully someone in here can answer.

My question is quite technical, but I've tried searching in many places
before I ended up posting here.

One of our games is built with Flash 8 and Zinc.
When the game starts, the "Local Storage Settings Macromedia panel" pops up,
asking for permission to write on the local hard drive.

Is there any way to prevent this from popping up?

The game does not use any SharedObjects but it actually creates folders and files
for user data, highscores, game options etc. using Zinc's mdm.FileSystem.saveFile().
That's why the dialog appears.

I'm sure there are some casual games made with flash out there, that deal with
file manipulation. Has anyone ever had this issue and managed to solve it?

Thanks a lot,

Dimitrios

Dimitrios Bendilas
Game Designer/Lead Developer