[casual_games] Slow death for the current generation of casual games? (Bugs, Parental Controls & Game Explorer)

Adam Martin adam.m.s.martin at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 19 07:19:01 EST 2006

On 18/12/06, Dave Selle <Dave.Selle at wildtangent.com> wrote:

> *==Parental Controls & Vista==*

> Vista comes with a robust set of Parental controls based on games' ESRB

> ratings. And as we all know, relatively few casual games currently are ESRB

> rated because few developers have seen the ROI for the cost and effort of

> going through the submission process. Vista will certainly change this

> equation, especially for new games.

Out of interest, do you know what shoestring-budget indie developers
supposed to do about this, for instance teams doing first games, hobbyists,
etc? It would be a great shame if the minimum barriers for development,
which are currently extremely low (free IDEs, compilers, very cheap art
packages, hosting space, etc) suddenly jumped up and made it hard for
succesive generations of developers to make their own games, learn, etc.