[casual_games] Slow death for the current generation of casual games?

Matthew Douglass mdouglass at mind-control.com
Tue Dec 19 16:57:00 EST 2006

The game itself decides during installation whether or not to add itself to
the Game Explorer -- it is completely opt-in. (I should note one exception
-- there are a few legacy games that MS auto-detects and adds to the Game
Explorer -- but if you're in this category you probably already know it).

Also, as far as I know nothing stops you from adding yourself to the Start
Menu as well as to the Game Explorer (and in fact, that's what we're doing
currently).

And a final note -- when Parental Controls is installed the default option
is to allow unrated games to be played. So that at least helps a little.
The system is defined to allow ratings from multiple sources; maybe the IGDA
(or someone else) can start a rating system more oriented towards the casual
game space.

Matthew