[casual_games] If Vista is going to be such a problem...

Allen Partridge allen.partridge at iup.edu
Fri Dec 22 09:20:11 EST 2006

Dustin,

While I agree that it would take substantial effort to create a separate
entity, I don’t necessarily agree that it would be as negative an outcome as
you paint here. Why?

1. Casual Games are (at least for now) different than the games
traditionally rated by the ESRB.
2. Educating the public on this matter is
a.) beneficial to sales – it draws attention to the portals in the media

– that translates to increased revenue.
b.) not really relevant - people don't know what the ESRB is (normal
people) they know that games are rated. Heck, I know parents convinced by
their children that M stands for 'military'. ;) Who am I to break the bond
between parent and child.

3. There are a number of Centers at academic institutions that would be
thrilled to handle the grunt work of rating the games (my own Applied Media
and Simulation Games Center among them) and that would add legitimacy to the
ratings that you'll never get from the ESRB which is entirely like the fox
guarding the hen house (its board consists of members of the companies whose
games are being rated.)

4. Ratings systems are already splintered - across national boundaries. Why
not carefully examine the way that other industries have addressed the
issues and learn from their errors. Do it internationally, do it right, and
do it in a way that promotes growth in every sector of the industry?

Just curious, any other academics on the list?

--allen