[casual_games] If Vista is going to be such a problem... (ESRB)

Jamie Carlson jamiecarlson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 09:28:41 EST 2006

>Or is it possible that casual game developers could get a "minigame" ESRB

>ratings package, which is substantially cheaper, based on he volume of

>content required to check? I mean, you should be able to look at Diner Dash

>or Bejeweled for like 2 minutes to see that this is safe content, no? Why

>should they be charged the same price for evaluation as games like Far Cry

>or Gears of War - which must take days and days to look through the content?

Actually, submitting for an ESRB rating is a fairly "superficial"
process for all types of games (regardless of their size/duration).

There's a 30 page application which asks the developer to disclose
all notable instances of violence, profanity, drug use, or other
"questionable content". Completing the form takes about an hour (I've
done it twice) and then you (or your publisher) will have to record
an hour's worth of footage that needs to be submitted.

Here's an overview taken straight from the application:

ESRB Submission Form (Overview Section)
http://www.sonalystsgames.com/ESRB_Submission_Form_Overview/

NOTE: I took screen captures in MS Word but you could
probably just get the application DOC
from ESRB.org once you've created an account -
https://www.esrb.org/publishers/getting_rated/index.jsp)

After reading that and getting a feel for the process you'll come
away with a pretty good understanding of how the "Hot Coffee" mod in
"Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas" went easily undetected by the ESRB.
The process is just not setup for that level of scrutiny. Given the
extensive level of content and gameplay that is available in any
retail PC/Console game (as you mentioned) it's near impossible for
them to give each game the attention it deserves for an appropriate rating.

Not really related to the initial discussion, but just thought I'd
add a tangential slice of information about the ESRB for those who
are interested and were not aware of the process.

Happy Holidays!
- Jamie