[casual_games] app resolution

James C. Smith james at Reflexive.net
Thu Feb 9 17:03:13 EST 2006

Phil is right. About 70% of the top selling casual games are 800 X 600.
Every game Reflexive has done in the past 3 years has been 800 X 600.
(Ricochet Lost Worlds, Wik & the Fable Of Souls, Big Kahuna Reef, Big Kahuna
Words)

Current top selling 800 X 600 games include:
Magic Match
Acropolis
Atlantis
Aloha Solitaire
Luxor
Jewel Quest

In my random sampling of popular sellers form the last few years, the only
640 X 480 games I found were Wheel of Fortune and Zuma.  I am sure there are
more, but the point is, most games are 800 X 600 these days.

FYI: Bejeweled II is 1024 X 768 unless you "disable high resolution" which
knocks it down to 640 X 480 and cause the graphics to "reload".

James C. Smith
Reflexive Entertainment

-----Original Message-----
From: casual_games-bounces at igda.org [mailto:casual_games-bounces at igda.org]
On Behalf Of dan chao
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 12:15 PM
To: IGDA Casual Games SIG Mailing List
Subject: Re: [casual_games] app resolution

I just downloaded plantasia from gamelab/playfirst and Heavy Weapon from
Popcap.  I'm just trying to tell my artist what rez to do stuff in.
plantasia and if I'm not mistaken, diner dash were both in 640x480.  so
the audience is ok with 800x600 as long as d/l sizes don't get too big.

Phil Steinmeyer wrote:

> Where did you get that impression?  Download the top 10 games from
> Real, and probably 7 out of 10 are at 800 x 600.  Those still staying
> at 640 x 480 are either behind the times or trying to keep their
> download size really small (smaller target-rez = smaller source
> graphics = smaller files)
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "dan chao"
> <dchao at mastermindgames.net>
> Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 1:21 PM
> Subject: [casual_games] app resolution
>

>> it seems to me all the games are still using 640x480.  any thoughts
>> about the status quo going up to 800x600?  it'd be so nice, but I
>> realize this isn't the industry to being pushing boundaries like
>> that.
>>
>> dan

Dan Chao
CEO - Mastermind Games