[casual_games] What is a Casual Game?

Lennard Feddersen Lennard at RustyAxe.com
Wed Jan 4 13:22:55 EST 2006

I was thinking "I know it when I see it".  Eric, if you are writing a
thesis or something then maybe you are getting what you are after.
Whether I am indie, casual or out to lunch, here is what I am actually
trying to achieve with a new design in this market:

1.  Inclusion into as many credible online retail networks as possible.
2.  Strong conversion, sustained exposure.

Here is how I try to achieve that:

1.  Very simple interface.  For me this is mouse and left mouse button -
I don't think point, click and shoot in one swell foop is a deal breaker
and Zuma wouldn't either.
2.  Low barriers to entry, investments if you will.
3.  I fall back on the old EA tenet of "simple, hot and deep" - I do
hope that my games reveal more as you player further.  With games like
Gears of War in the world it's hard to argue that anybody in our space
can achieve "hot" - but I do hope to create games that are beautiful for
what they are.  With Battle Castles I have hoped (and seen some evidence
of having achieved) to create a feeling of expectation and nostalgia at
the same time.  I have a great fondness for the arcade boxes I grew up
with - actually the games that Pom Pom create achieve what I am trying
to describe.

Peace,

Lennard Feddersen
CEO, Rusty Axe Games, Inc.
www.RustyAxe.com

Lennard at RustyAxe.com
P. 250-635-7623 F. 1-309-422-2466
3521 Dogwood, Terrace, BC, Canada, V8G-4Y7