[casual_games] Procedural rendering - again

James C. Smith james at Reflexive.net
Tue Jan 10 14:53:49 EST 2006

>> That interests me - have you developed your own
>> vector editing program? What are the benefits over
>> say Illustrator or Flash?

For end uses who make their own levels, they don't have to own Illustrator
or Flash.

For anyone using the editor, you can see what you are editing in the context
it will be used in.  You don't have to manage separate file or do importing
and exporting.  As you are editing a level you can edit the vector art on
the level.

It is important to understand that in this game the vector art is part of
the level and not a resource that is used in the game. For example, if we
were making the characters of the game out of vector art then I would draw
them in Flash and import them into the game. But this is a level design
tool.  You construct a level by editing the playfield grid, locking tiles,
changing span points, and creating vector art. Some of the 'art' or shape of
the level is created in the grid shape and part is in the vector art.  It
would be very cumbersome to have to do the vector art part in a separate
program.