[casual_games] Top Download List

Jason Willig jwillig at bigtopgames.com
Wed Jan 18 12:35:46 EST 2006

Sorry, not a portal response, but perhaps a work-around (which I'm sure some
folks are already using in some form or another).

Even with a relatively small sample of sales data (from a single portal or
other reliable source representing a sizable percentage of the market, say
15%-25%), it would probably be possible to create a reasonably reliable tool
for tracking directional sales of online games. After all, NPD does not
reflect actual sell-thru, but rather an extrapolation of retail sales from a
"statistically reliable" sample (for example, Wal-Mart -- which represents
~30% of a typical games retail sales -- does not report to NPD so they have
to account for that gap by extrapolating their data).

One major caveat: it might not make sense to capture every game on the
market (issue of diminishing returns...I'd focus on the top 50) and would
probably have a fairly wide margin of error relative to actual sales.
However, over time the margin could be reduced as the assumptions get
refined and it would offer reasonable, comparative information on a title by
title basis, which I think is quite valuable. Please keep in mind that any
tool like this is going to have certain fundamental flaws, specifically
inaccurate assumptions or changing market conditions which are not accounted
for in the calculation.

The key factors to such a tool, I think, is (1) a reliable, accurate
benchmark sample, (2) a transparent & defensible formula, (3) mutually
agreed upon assumptions and -- most importantly (4) data security for those
providing the information. Seems like if we can find a willing participant
each of these is relatively straightforward to ensure...

For example:
Portal A provides sales information for their top 50 games (downloads &
sell-thru),
We assume Portal A represents X% of the total download market
Market share percentages are assigned to Portals B, C, D & E as well as
secondary players & alternative distributors (obviously, adding up to 100%)
Weight each of those with a margin of error % (i.e. "I'm X% confident in
these assumptions")
Use a website traffic tracking tool (such as http://www.alexa.com/) as some
type of sanity check and possibly an additional weighting criteria
Cross-reference against macro-level growth trends (like the IDC report from
last year) to make sure the # 's are generally in-line w/ these projects (as
an additional sanity check)

And there you go...

I've spent many an hour crunching these types of numbers and would be happy
to volunteer to put something together.

Jason Willig
voice: 206-650-2272
fax: 206-260-1376