[casual_games] Community Functionality

Ron lists at rzweb.com
Tue Jan 31 14:48:01 EST 2006

 > It’s interesting. Makes you wonder why Pogo, Yahoo! and MSN invested in
 > multiplayer infrastructures since the late 90s. I have a hunch that’s
 > it’s a little bit more complex than that.

I don't think that it's so much that they are scared of community, it's
that they are scared of loosing control.  Much like the IM stuff,
everyone's happy if you can only use their system, but once you can hop
around, it becomes a problem for them.  Community in Casual Games is
probably the same.  The portals are in in favor of it, as long as you're
locked in.   The last thing Yahoo wants is you playing with MSN players.

But I agree that community is going to be huge as soon as it moves
beyond just chat and doesn't turn into PvP.

Ron