[casual_games] Community Functionality

Lennard Feddersen Lennard at RustyAxe.com
Tue Jan 31 17:22:28 EST 2006

One thing that is vastly different are the $ to build.  To build a title
that you are going to take to EA is typically going to cost millions of
$, not the case with what we do.  OTOH, most of us are building out our
own little stores and finding that 250K visitors a day isn't that easy
to achieve so, the big portals are providing a real service.  The best
way to "combat" this is to create your own portal and pay developers
more, possibly for exclusivity, which is the direction I think Alawar is
going.  The other thing that is happening is that developers who
consistently hit it out of the park are getting bought up or are able to
go to places like PlayFirst and get funding.

A problem for the casual space developer is that it's very easy to get
into casual space development, so there are a lot of us.  There are only
so many eyeballs and the portals have found a way to garner them (in
some cases by spending a heck of a lot of $ every month to drag those
eyeballs to our games) and for a lot of us, this has enough value to
give up the percentages that we do.

On another note, I've been following the main part of this thread with
interest because I know that all of my portal contracts say that my
games can't communicate with external sites.  I think most will be fine
with a high score internet connection that doesn't advertise the site
that the scores are stored on, but not much else.  The ideal for me
would be a common registration system that let all casual gamers have a
single unique ID, ie. SuperLennard means me on every casual game that I
play, that would allow casual gamers to uniquely identify themselves
everywhere and also make it easy for us to track foul language abuse.
This would have to be independant of any one big portal and would
represent a value for the casual gamer.

Happy game makin'

Lennard Feddersen
CEO, Rusty Axe Games, Inc.
www.RustyAxe.com

Lennard at RustyAxe.com
P. 250-635-7623 F. 1-309-422-2466
3521 Dogwood, Terrace, BC, Canada, V8G-4Y7