[casual_games] Community Functionality

Kenny Dinkin kenny at playfirst.com
Tue Jan 31 20:25:31 EST 2006

James is right - portals and publishers are not the same. Though Juan's
got a point that there's lots of shades of grey in our (still
semi-nascent) industry, at the core Portals are primarily retailers.
Their focus is on selling LOTs of different games to lots of different
customers.

Publishers partner with developers to help developers get their games
successfully published -- at the same time publishers want to build and
grow their portfolio or label of content. A real publisher should do all
the things that publishers do in the book or record world or always did
in the PC/console space: funding from concept, marketing/PR and
distribution, even licensing.  And if your content's good, a good
publisher ought to be able to exponentially broaden your opportunity -
giving you a bigger pie to take a slice of.

Publishers and developers are likely to be more focused on the game
making and thus closer to the content than a retailer/portal can ever
be.

An analogy we sometimes use - imagine a portal being like Barnes & Noble
or Borders.  They have customer relationships, community features
(coffee shops, book signings), guidelines for the content they want to
sell, the whole deal.  In that world, you still need a strong Simon and
Shuster, or Little Brown - the publisher - to take risks and ensure a
pipeline of diverse content for the platform.  The retailer may
sometimes be interested in their own first-party content, but
theoretically this is not their core business.

Also, to clarify and respond to Lennard's point - PlayFirst is
interested in working with developers with inventive ideas, not just
slam dunks.  We believe in taking risks on great new concepts and we've
got a handful of developers whom we're funding from concept- and several
first or second time developers working out of their homes with very
small teams.  We think it takes all types of developers to create a
strong portfolio of great interactive entertainment.

-k