[casual_games] surprising stats about casual gaming

Cole, Vladimir yocole at wharton.upenn.edu
Sun Jul 9 03:35:06 EDT 2006

One of that survey's stats in particular made me wish for more
information about exactly who their sample was: "67% read game reviews
and 46% of those who do feel they are influenced to try or purchase a
new game by the reviews they read "

These reviews aren't of casual games (because reviews of casual games
aren't plentiful, easy to find, or well-trafficked). Therefore (assuming
that respondents didn't simply lie or misunderstand the question), these
people must be reading reviews of "hardcore" games. That would indicate
that this is less a survey of the casual gamer population than of the
hardcore gamer population.

... or is there a better explanation for that puzzling stat?