[casual_games] Gender and casual games research

Juan Gril juangril at jojugames.com
Tue Jul 18 12:50:52 EDT 2006

Alan was saying:
" What does seem to be different is the level of
involvement; while many 'hardcore' users like to
approach their gaming as if it was a sport (highly
competitive, highly engaged, mono-focused), many
casual user seem to approach their games for more of a
Zen-like relaxing experience (like a book, perhaps).

My wife (our #1 beta-tester) usually plays our games
while watching TV, pausing for a minute or two
whenever anything interesting is happening on screen
(and going back as soon as adverts resume). I can't
quite imagine doing the same kind of gaming if I was
playing Halflife2."

And it's a very good point. It totally defines how much involvement should a
player have in some casual games. But can anyone play Feeding Frenzy 2 and
watch television at the same time? Or is there a "more involved" type of
Casual Gamer?

FF2 is selling really. So who buys it?

Cheers,

Juan