[casual_games] RE: Copycats -- What Can Be Done?

Daniel Kinney sonicron at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 14:27:55 EDT 2006

On 7/20/06, Adam Martin <adam at mindcandydesign.com> wrote:

> I mean, seriously, what on earth is wrong with "trying to capitalize on
> the ... fanbase which the release of Zuma helped cultivate"? That's what
> games developers *should* be trying to do, especially indie studios - be
> better at making money.

With all due respect, when one is in a creative field, one is expected to
excerize creativity. Artists coming up with unique assets for a functionally
identical game is just sheen on an unoriginal idea. Even breaking down the
components to their atomic parts and asking "Why is a game like Zuma so
popular?" is a more healthy attitude than mimicking behavior -- anything but
balls on a track.

In a creative industry, money certainly isn't the only factor to consider.

Best Regards,
Daniel Kinney