[casual_games] RE: Copycats -- What Can Be Done?

Daniel Kinney sonicron at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 00:35:03 EDT 2006

On 7/20/06, johns at worldwinner.com <johns at worldwinner.com> wrote:

> i think the 'industry' is what makes money the primary consideration. or
> maybe i am just hopelessly cynical [experienced] ...

Certainly, money will be the primary consideration in any business. But it
is not — nor should it be — the only.

Ignorance of the broad consequences of a self-centered industry is what lead
to the destruction of our field in 1984 and will likely again.  And we're
not the only creative industry who has witnessed these consequences. The
music and film industries have had their share of hurt for years and they've
only just begun acknowledging the true cause of their losses.

It is not only the self which one must consider in business. The industry as
a whole must be considered. If one were so lucky as to have been borne into
a singularly dominated industry, then one would be responsible only to
himself for its destruction. But we are many, each affecting another. The
procedural devaluation of products through commoditization is unsustainable.
We _must_ consider not only our own business' "bottom line," but the "bottom
line" of our industry as a whole, if want this field to continue to thrive
and prosper.

Repeatedly farm without replenishing nourishment and it will become a barren
wasteland, profitable for no one.

Best Regards,
Daniel Kinney