[casual_games] RE: Copycats -- What Can Be Done?

Adam Martin adam at mindcandydesign.com
Fri Jul 21 04:57:53 EDT 2006

Daniel Kinney wrote:

> On 7/20/06, *johns at worldwinner.com <mailto:johns at worldwinner.com>*
> <johns at worldwinner.com <mailto:johns at worldwinner.com>> wrote:
>
>     i think the 'industry' is what makes money the primary consideration. or
>     maybe i am just hopelessly cynical [experienced] ...
>

> Repeatedly farm without replenishing nourishment and it will become a
> barren wasteland, profitable for no one.

Making money doesn't imply only chasing the lowest-risk buck - it's
about balancing many things, and not being too precious about any of them.

Separately, I don't think it's fair to characterise this as a debate
between anti-artistic, selfish taking (making clones for money) and
long-termist creatives (never cloning). If a clone is not creatively
done, it's generally going to do poorly - it's not easy fighting an
incumbent successful product with one that lacks USPs.

Unless, of course, the incumbent is not handling their business side
particularly well - in which case, more power to the newcomers, if they
do things better. That's how our society works at the moment, the
stronger (albeit smaller, and building on what their predecessors
already invented) businesses regularly supplanting the weaker (albeit
dominant / original) ones.

--
Adam Martin
CTO, Mind Candy Ltd