[casual_games] sequels

Dave Rohrl daver at popcap.com
Mon Jun 19 18:28:17 EDT 2006

They vary.  All of the ones you list below have been successful (or I
expect will be).  On the other hand, Gutterball 2 and Lemonade Tycoon 2
both did less business than the original games (I think).  There's a
very fine balancing act with these sequels.  Those that have been
successful have managed to maintain the excellence and simplicity of
their gameplay and sticking to a few incremental features which - by and
large - the novice user doesn't really have to grok to play well.  Those
that have fallen short seem to have either added too much complexity
that the user absolutely had to contend with or have added too little
additional gamely to generate excitement.

I won't say that creating a really successful sequel is as hard as
creating a really successful original game, but it's no slam dunk
either.

- DaveR