[casual_games] sequels

Steve Meretzky smeretzky at floodg.com
Wed Jun 21 16:43:52 EDT 2006

The big difference is probably that a movie is telling a story, and the
sequel is either a continuation of that story (e.g. Godfather 2) or another
story involving the same character(s) (e.g. Indiana Jones and the Lost
Crusade). You can have a successful movie sequel without breaking new
grounds in areas like artistic style or technical effects. A casual game has
no story to speak of, and therefore for the sequel to be appealing it can't
just be the same gameplay but has to have enhanced gameplay (new modes, new
power-ups, etc.).

The one analogy to a movie sequel might be a game that delivers essentially
the same gameplay as the first game, and is merely a vehicle for delivering
a lot of additional content . new levels in a game like Cubis or new phrases
in a game like Wild Wild Words. This is normally the type of content that is
delivered in the hardcore world via "expansion packs". We discussed
expansion packs at the Casual Game Summit in (I think) 2005, and the
unanimous opinion of the panel was that the distribution channels are not
set up for a lower-priced product like an expansion pack, or for explaining
how you need A before you can use B, and therefore expansion packs weren't a
viable option in casual games, at least under current conditions. But if
you're going to introduce a sequel to deliver new content, it's obvious to
take advantage of the moment to add new gameplay twists also (see Cubis 2)
so it's not likely that you'll see sequels whose sole purpose is to deliver
add'l content.

--Steve

  _____