[casual_games] Game engine recommendations

Josiah Hobson josiah at operand.com
Wed Jun 28 13:01:33 EDT 2006

I'm wondering if anyone can help recommend a game engine for a project
I'm working on. It's a little 3D app that needs to allow the user to
select from some number of 3d models and then choose a texture to apply
onto that model and then finally to see how it would look. There are ~20
models and ~600 textures so I need to be able to render the texture onto
the model in real time on the client. It could be a Windows XP app, but
if it could somehow run in IE that would be even better.

I guess this is pretty simple as video game stuff goes, but I'm thinking
it does still need some kind of game engine to get the job done. Plus a
lot of the work is going to be creating the textures, so I need a system
that can easily import them from JPGs. I know there are a lot of engines
out there so I'm having some trouble getting up to speed enough to make
an informed selection. If anyone out there knows offhand of an
inexpensive product that might do the job, I'd love to get some
recommendations.

Thanks!

- josiah