[casual_games] Re: Casual_Games Digest, Vol 10, Issue 6

Jesper Juul / Soup Games jesper at soupgames.net
Tue Mar 7 14:27:18 EST 2006

At 06-03-2006 19:30, Matt Spall wrote:
>Has anyone has any experience of the Excelsior JET, Java to Exe wrapper
>system - in particular, any experience of how it behaves in relation to the
>trial and purchase wrappers applied/used by the casual publishers?
>
>Seems a reasonable solution to deployment of Java titles where not everyone
>you deploy to will have a JVM installed.

I haven't tried Excelsior with any kind of wrapper, but the problem
with Excelsior is that version 4.0+ adds 10 MB to the download of
your application (as I understand, this is because the license from
Sun only allows Excelsior to distribute a complete Java implementation).

However, I think GCJ is beginning to look like a viable alternative
for distributing Java programs, especially if you are willing to use
another GUI toolkit than AWT. (GCJ adds around 2MB to download.)

-Jesper Juul