[casual_games] advice for a startup gamedev studio?

Ryan Sumo endlessthirteen at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 22 18:52:44 EST 2006

I've given it much thought and finally decided that I want to establish a local gamedev studio here in the Philippines.

  That was the easy part.  The hard part is, what now?  I have game design concepts down, and I'm slowly putting together a team, but after that it's a bit fuzzy.  My basic idea is to make a rather simple game that's complex enough to be a learning experience for the team, but marketable enough to do well in the...market.

  I've already asked someone (thanks Gabriel!) for his thoughts, but I was also wondering if you veterans out there have any nuggets of wisdom to share regarding such questions as:

  What language or software do you think a startup should use these days (ie C++, Java, Flash)?

  What's a typical size team for developing one game?

  What's the usual development time for a game?

  How does one approach a publisher for distribution (ie once you've made the game how do ya sell it)?

  Those are just the questions I have in my head right now, but if any of you have advice to give on putting up a gamedev studio, I'd be more than happy to accept it.  Thanks a lot everyone, and I hope to hear from you soon.

  Ryan Sumo
  (I don't even know what to call the studio.heh.)