[casual_games] Tools

Lionel Barret De Nazaris lionel.bdn at free.fr
Thu Mar 23 04:13:43 EST 2006

Well, the rule of thumb is to use lightweight tools.

Most companies have lightweight production process, so they use
lightweight tools.
for programming it means : Flash, Python, PopCap framework (I haven't
tested this one, someone could enlighten us on this one ?) etc...
Some use Java because of the browser integration (which is a big plus).
AFAIK few use c++.

But in the end, it depends on what you know. You should use c++ if you
know it well.

For the graphic tools, it's quite classic : 2D (photoshop or gimp) and
3D (3DSMAX and some free/open source software of which i have forgotten
the name). But most companies use freelance for the visual in their
game. After all, only the programmers are needed during the whole
project.

About security, I don't care much about security, those who can crack
your game (I am speaking of downloadable games) are not in your
demographic anyway.