[casual_games] How many hours does a programmer need...

Allan Simonsen Simonsen at rocketmail.com
Mon Mar 27 06:19:08 EST 2006

You should ask the programmer, then multiply that
answer by somewhere between 2x and 4x. Programmers are
boundless optimists (often camuflaged by a thin layer
of world-wary cynisism), and have a habit of
generously  underestimating task duration. This goes
double if it's a part-time job, since The Real World
keeps intruding.

Having said that, 3 women cannot have 1 baby in 3
months; unless you can really split up the work,
throwing more manpower at it doesn't solve the
problem.

This is especially important when looking at remote
work, since the Command and Control for coordinating
more programmers is going to become a major issue. If
you're lucky, they'll motivate each other to work far
beyond the 7-10 hours they commited. If you're not,
the whole thing will deteriorate into a grumbling mess
about design-patterns, who's to blame for what bugs,
and stalled code.

Allan Simonsen

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman5/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39666/*http://beta.messenger.yahoo.com%20>