SPAM-LOW: Re: [casual_games] Casual Game Portal Features

Juan Gril juangril at jojugames.com
Mon Mar 27 11:59:28 EST 2006

Here is a list I made in 5 minutes (okay, 10):

Studio:
- Make your submission system as similar as possible to the other major
portals. In fact, copy the submission guidelines of one of them so people
would be like "oh, this is exactly like *portal*".
- Use a DRM we are all using already, and don't make any customized changes
in your set up so the DRM integration is simple to do. Do the same as in
previous rule.
- Real-time reporting (downloads, sales, conversion rate)
- Good ad placement in games, and that you SHARE the ad revenue with us.
- Don't bug us to integrate with your community platform. We don't want to;
although we would probably do it if there is a substantial reason to do it
(read good MONEY upfront and lots of traffic to justify locking a community
game to just one portal). If not it's not worth it.
- Get the game up before someone else clones it, and PLEASE don't upload the
clone before our original game (unless we are also cloning).
- Be careful on how many clones you upload per week. It's great to generate
traffic uploading one game a day, but if you don't generate enough revenue
for the developers to pay the bills one day you would not have developers to
provide you those games, and believe me you are going to need a FREAKING
ARMY to create enough content if we are not around.
- Localize your web site and create a simple submission system so we can
deliver translated SKUs (no portal has done this yet).

Consumer:
- Amazon.com (especially good search and good recommendation engine)
- Personalized Newsletter
- My Games
- Review system like Netflix or Y! Games.
- Forums per Game like Gamespot.
- Real-time traffic reporting on game (what people are playing right now)
- Ranking by sales (top sellers)
- Disable an ad (not an ad space, a particular ad they don't want to see any
more).

Cheers,

Juan