[casual_games] How many hours does a programmer need...

Kenton White k.white at i2learning.com
Mon Mar 27 12:55:53 EST 2006

Joe's crash course is wonderful!

To that I will add a couple of practical strategies that worked well for me
and my team.

1)       You do have a design document?  If not, get that written!  Without
a design document no one knows what the project that is going to be built is
and it is impossible to determine how long that will take.  The expression,
I think, is "how long is a piece of string?"

2)       Distill the design document into a requirements document.  The
requirements document clearly and unambiguously articulates the product's
purpose, features, functionality and behavior.  This reduces the design
document into the practical what to make without defining how to make it.  I
mention this step because many "how to make games" books don't mention a
requirements document, probably because they are targeted at programmer /
designer hybrids.

3)       Break the project down into bit sized chunks, otherwise known as a
project plan.  I try to break it down into chunks that I think are about a
week long task.  From my recent project, sample bite sized chunks were:
script syntax & data structure design; script parser; text only prototype;
art engine prototype, etc.  Of course for your project these will be
different (mine was a conversation based game and so a text only prototype
was feasible).

4)       Then, with your candidate programmer, sit down and ask how long
each of these tasks will take.  The nice thing about this conversation is
you can find out much about how suited the candidate is to the project.  As
another rule of thumb, push back on what the programmer says and add about
50% extra time to what they say.  So if the programmer says "It will only
take me about a week to get the syntax and data structures designed" then
you say "Great, let's agree that it will take a week and a half."  Not only
does this give a more realistic strategy, but when the task starts running
over schedule, you can half jokingly remind your programmer that she thought
it would only take a week - a nice way to light the fire under someone to
get it done!

5)       If you are using multiple programmers try to parallelize the work
flow.  That is, try to have each programmer responsible for a single section
of the game, like art and animation, artificial intelligence, character
controls, etc.  Go through the same process with each.

This bottoms up approach I find yields more realistic schedules than the top
down approach of "it takes 100 man hours to make a game so if one programmer
can give me 10 hours a week  it should take 10 weeks."

And good luck with your project!

Kenton

  _____