[casual_games] distribution question

Brian Robbins brian-l at dubane.com
Sun May 14 09:05:57 EDT 2006

This is the purpose of an audit clause in a contract. This should be
pretty much standard in contracts with any distributor, and is across
all the major portals.

Typically you'll have the option to audit their books up to once a
year. If a discrepancy of greater than X% is found then you get
reimbursed the cost of the audit, plus the difference, and possibly
plus some sort of interest or penalty. There's some great info on this
within the IGDA's Business and Legal Contract Walkthroughs:
http://www.igda.org/biz/contract_walkthrough.php  This particular
point is in the 2nd version, but it's a good idea to look at all of
them

At the end of the day, you should trust them to do their business
properly and if you don't, then you shouldn't be signing a
distribution deal with them. That said you should ALWAYS have these
types of protections in a contract no matter how much you trust the
other party.

--
Brian Robbins
Director of Games, Game Trust