[casual_games] Different Payment Models

Charles Merrin cmerrin at real.com
Mon Oct 9 18:09:01 EDT 2006

The $20 price point / 60 minute trial was arrived at by several companies
simultaneously.  No one company created it.  I personally tested different
time limits and prices.  Lower prices didn't work because there is not
enough price elasticity in our market.  The hard part is getting the credit
card out - after that, $10 or $20 doesn't matter.  This has obvious
ramifications for any micro-transaction or alternative pricing model we
consider.  Different time limits and models (level locking, feature locking,
etc.) were either not universally applicable or were too complicated to
message.

As Dave points out and Vladimir reiterates, the world is always changing so
we should constantly re-evaluate our decisions.  RealArcade is always
testing...

Different games may have different characteristics, even between regions.
Zylom charges 30 euros for the same games that cost $20 in the US, with
minimal negative price elasticity.  Some sites / publishers have sold their
US games at $30, although the results have been mixed and not always
positive.  Some companies offer 30 minutes of free play on games, which may
be too much or too little depending on the game.

With this in mind, design your games for the world in which we live.  The
most successful games are designed with the 60 minute trial, regardless of
what you believe.  Players should be engaged and "peaking" at minute 59...
This is always going to be a hits business.

Cross site "hopping" isn't a major factor.  Studies show that most buyers
aren't savvy (or motivated) enough to do this.  Further, I believe people
that work so hard to play for free weren't going to buy anyway.  I
personally wouldn't (and don't) devote my energies to this issue.

Finally, never stop considering new ideas and new models, but work with the
major distribution portals.  I can (humbly) suggest that the idea of a
cross-industry payment model, micro-transaction-based or not, will never
fly.  But there are other models worthy of consideration.  Real is actively
experimenting with advertising-based models.  Other sites are trying
different models.

Our industry is evolving.  Exciting times are ahead.  Here's to finding a
better mousetrap.

Charles S. Merrin
Vice President, North America Games
RealNetworks, Inc.