[casual_games] DRM choices

Jason Akel jasakel at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 15 12:31:58 EDT 2006

Ladies and gentlemen with a DRM persuasion:

The question just posed about DRM options...

I serve on the IGDA Casual Games Special Interest Group (SIG); I'm actually
taking over chair from Brian Robbins later this month - awesome job, Brian -
thanks! One of the new initiatives we have, and I am spearheading, is to
help developers and publishers understand DRM options, advantages and
disadvantages better, primarily from a strategic and business perspective.
We expect there to be a series of articles, interviews and fact guides to
provide a clearer picture. We will also attempt to address Mac.

We will cover providers including: Trymedia, Esellerate, Digital River,
Exent, IT GlobalSecure, Macfun and adaptations by Reflexive, RealArcade,
Oberon, etc.

***I request from everyone, newbie or seasoned veteran, to please submit
your non-technical questions (which installers work or Vista compatibility
would be considered non-technical enough questions), interests and concerns
regarding DRM, and we will try to address everything over the coming
months/year. Feel free to pose challenging questions for the companies to
answer.***

FYI, I worked at Trymedia for three years and Exent is currently a client,
giving me an interesting perspective to lead this. Our goal is to drive the
initiative from your needs, however.

Feel free to send me an email personally or post to this mailing list.
PLEASE CALL OUT "DRM QUESTION" OR SIMILAR SO I DON'T MISS IF YOU POST.
Thanks!

Regards,

Jason Akel
jasakel at hotmail.com