[casual_games] Recording videos from my game

Matthew Wegner mwegner at flashbangstudios.com
Tue Apr 3 23:49:08 EDT 2007

Hey All,

I've captured 50+ videos of various games for my physics game site. Fraps
works extremely well if you have a modern system; I haven't had any problems
with audio or frame rates. If you have an onboard sound card you may get
audio issues. GameCam is Fraps' main competitor, if you want something else
to try because Fraps is giving you trouble.

Fraps can only capture DirectX/OpenGL surfaces, though. If a game is 100%
software or doing something funny to be more compatible Fraps may be out of
the question. Next, I try to use Camtasia. Camtasia is designed to capture
business apps for things like narrated tutorials, but you *can* jack up the
framerate/color settings to get realtime capture. It's an expensive
product, but I already had it lying around from teaching online courses.

I've had to resort to hardware capture for a few oddities (desktop toys and
other bizarre applications that render in strange ways). You can get a
cheap Plextor ConvertX USB capture device for $10 to $40 if you wait for
deals. Check http://dealnews.com/search.html?search=convertx&x=0&y=0 --
some going on now. As mentioned, consumer hardware capture isn't suited for
broadcast or high-res demo reels, but it's more than enough for
Flash-encoded video.

Hope this help!

Best Regards,

Matthew Wegner
Founder and CEO, Flashbang Studios

6507 S Hardy Drive Suite #214 Tempe, AZ 85283
AIM: matthewfbs | MSN: matthewfbs at hotmail.com
(480) 329-2566, Mobile | (480) 393-0885, Office | (480) 626-5992, Fax

www.flashbangstudios.com
www.fun-motion.com