[casual_games] Pathfinding

Austin Haas austin at pettomato.com
Thu Aug 30 14:56:31 EDT 2007

A* isn't the problem. If you want your paths to have a certain aesthetic value, then you need to program that into how A* calculates costs. For instance, you can add a higher cost to changing direction, or you can add a high cost penalty to changing direction several times within a set number of steps. If you want the character to change direction as few times as possible, then you might give each step a +1 cost, but each change of direction a +3 cost. Then you can manage the tradeoff between shortest distance and aesthetics by tweaking simple numbers.

-austin

--
Austin Haas
Pet Tomato, Inc.