[casual_games] Pathfinding

Chris Dillman chrisd at plaidworld.com
Thu Aug 30 15:10:13 EDT 2007

>We are trying to figure out which is the best pathfinding approach here.

>We tried A*, but the algorithm makes the sprite move in a zig-zag pattern

>too much and the movement seems very unnatural.

>Does anyone know what is a good approach for the pathfinding in such games?

>Maybe someone that has developed a similar game can give us a hint?

A* is probably what you need but you need to give it hints or smooth it
in order to get smooth movement.

The first 2 or 3 books in this series have a lot of examples on how
to do exactly this.

http://www.gameprogramminggems.com/

aka how to get natural movement from A* etc

--
Plaid World Studios http://www.plaidworld.com
BANG 2D game engine's blog http://www.bang2d.com

Email: chrisd at plaidworld.com