[casual_games] selling game online [getting 60-75% from a "publisher"]

James C. Smith james at reflexive.net
Fri Feb 9 12:12:42 EST 2007

I would agree that Greg Costikyan's description of a publishing deal is
accurate. He is talking about going to a full service publisher who will
provide upfront funding and presumable many services such as testing,
localization, and marketing. For a service like this, it is reasonable for
a developer to get 30% of whatever the publisher gets as Costikyan suggests
or the 30-40% that James Gwertzman says is common.

However, I want to make it clear that there are many other possible types of
distribution deals that are sometimes also referred to as "publishing" but
have very different royalty rates that are more in line with the 60-75% that
Anonymous mentioned and Gwertzman shot down. Sometimes a developer can fund
development himself and take care of testing and localization, but just
needs help get getting the game on more portals, or doesn't want to deal
with each portals contract. In cases like this it is very seasonable (and
I believe common) for a developer to receive 60-75% of whatever the
"distributor/agent" is getting.

I think this understand of agents is very relevant to Costikyan's
conclusions. In conclusion point #3 he says "If you can reach any of the
major portals, it's probably worth doing a deal" but goes on to accurately
state that "But in most cases, they're less eager to work with individual
developers, because they have limited business development bandwidth, and
prefer to deal with larger partners". In conclusion point #5 he says "Deal
with a publisher only if there is really no other choice"

I think this leaves the inaccurate impression that to get a deal on some
portals who "limited business development bandwidth" you would have to
settle for the 30% of net deal that he describes as giving the developer ~
$1.26 per game. This isn't true at all. There are many companies who will
help you get your game on those portals and give you closer to 75% of what
they get from the portal. Some people call these guys publishers, some call
them distributors, some call them agents. The point is, this is one
possible path for developers that Costikyan doesn't mention and it shouldn't
be confused with the "publishing" deal that Costikyan and Gwertzman are
talking about.

James C. Smith